This Fancy Rainbow Unicorn Cake is everything a little girl dreams of! It has sparkle and colors and stars and clouds more! Even better... it's Confetti Cake on the inside and I'm sharing that recipe too!
A while back I sent out this cake in an email, and asked if my readers had any questions about it. First, I'll give you the details of how I made it, then I'll answer the questions some of you asked!
Details for the Fancy Rainbow Unicorn Cake
- The cake sizes are 5-7-9 inches. I baked them in my favorite Magic Line pans.
- The cake flavor was white almond sour cream with sprinkles (aka confetti cake!). See the recipe down below.
- The frosting was vanilla buttercream.
- I used homemade marshmallow fondant for almost all of the decorations. We then colored the fondant with Americolor gel colors.
- The gold decorations were made with Satin Ice Gold Shimmer fondant.
- The unicorn mane was piped with a #1M piping tip. Then the borders were piped with a #22 piping tip.
- The clouds were cut out with these cloud cutters.
- The stars were cut with these star plunger cutters.
- The name was cut out with Funky Alphabet Tappit cutters.
- Everything else was hand-cut and rolled (the rainbow, the large cloud, the unicorn eyes, ears, and the unicorn horn). However, I do have a video for a unicorn horn here.
- Finally, I used Americolor Electric Pink and Electric Blue for the bottom and middle tiers.
Yes, this is the same vanilla frosting I use to do stripes cakes like the Chanel Cake below!
For this cake, I used gold glitter cardstock, then added a ⅝-inch pink ribbon around the edge to give it a polished look. I have a tutorial for how to cover cake boards with glitter paper here.
I wish I did - my daughter, Sarah, made that for me. But you can take this Craftsy class to learn to make animal figures... it was a HUGE help to us! You can also get unlimited Craftsy cake classes by signing up here for only $2.49 for the first year!
You need to use Rainbow Jimmies for a sprinkles cake. Do NOT use rainbow nonpareils - they will bleed and make a mess of your batter!