This Spicy Cottage Cheese Dip is unique and like nothing you've ever had before! With a little kick of red pepper flakes and Monterey Jack cheese, plus the creaminess and tanginess of sour cream - you are going to want to add this to your list of favorite dips!
This recipe was originally shared with me 20+ years ago when we lived in Idaho. I don't remember who shared it, but it was called "Game Day Dip" because they always made it on the weekends for football parties.
And since we're a football-loving family and I loved the dip, I've saved it for all these years!
Cottage Cheese Dip
As far as dips go, I'd consider this spicy, creamy dip pretty unusual, but really delicious and addictive! Honestly, I guess any recipes with cottage cheese are rare.
I can honestly say until recent recipe trends such as Ranch Dip with Cottage Cheese (like this) and Whipped Cottage Cheese Dip (like this), I'd never come across any other cottage cheese dip recipes or appetizers that have cottage cheese as the main ingredient.
Why I Love this Dip Made with Cottage Cheese
My favorite things about this recipe are no blender is needed and it only has 5 simple ingredients! Could you dress it up with more spices or fresh herbs? Sure - but it's delicious just the way it is!
When you want easy dips - this is it! It can seriously be ready to eat in under 5 minutes!
I know cottage cheese is one of those either "love it" or "hate it" foods. Prime example: my kids and I love it, but my husband hates it. But even if you don't like it, I'd encourage you to give this Cottage Cheese Dip recipe a shot!
This Cottage Cheese Dip recipe has only 5 ingredients - short and simple. Nothing fancy here - but the combination is incredible!
- Cottage Cheese - I use large curd cottage cheese but I really think any variety would work! Also, I've used both low-fat and full-fat cottage cheese with success!
- Monterey Jack Cheese - I like to buy this in a block and shred it myself, but you could also skip a step and buy pre-shredded cheese.
- Sour Cream - I use full-fat sour cream.
- Crushed red pepper - yes, this dip is spicy! But since this is the only spice, don't skip it!
- Green onions - this adds color and a little more flavor, but you can skip them if you like.
How to Make Cottage Cheese Dip
Now don't get bogged down in these instructions... haha! But seriously - it could not be easier. There's no need to blend or use a food processor! The prep time is basically zero 😉
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Garnish with more red pepper flakes and green onion to make it pretty.
- Enjoy with Fritos (or other corn chips), crackers, or vegetables.
Note: This dip can be eaten immediately or chilled until ready to serve. I find that the red pepper melds with the sour cream and cottage cheese and the flavor is a little more developed if the dip is chilled in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
What to Serve with Cottage Cheese Dip
- Our favorite thing to dip Cottage Cheese dip with is Scoops corn chips (the really big Fritos).
- It can also be eaten with tortilla chips or potato chips.
- For variation, you could serve it with your favorite crackers
- For a keto-friendly snack, use this cottage cheese dip as a veggie dip: celery, cucumbers, and carrots are our favorites.
Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The longer it is stored, the spicier it gets (the red pepper flavor melds into the cheeses!).
Do not freeze cottage cheese dip. The texture of the cheeses is not good out of the freezer.
Cottage cheese is high in protein, calcium, and many vitamins. It's also low in calories. For many, it's thought to be a diet food.